Sunday, May 13, 2007

Wealthy

Good things about yesterday:

I didn't throw up.
I didn't get a speeding ticket.
I didn't get in a fender-bender.
My kid didn't pee on anyone's new sofa (although he did the day before).
None of my kids' teachers called to say they are struggling.
None of my kids came home sick.
The washer didn't break.
The car didn't break down.
No one crashed into the twin towers.
My father didn't have a stroke.
I didn't say the wrong thing to my mother-in-law.
I didn't deposit the check into the wrong account and bounce a check (although that happened twice last month).
My husband didn't get hit in the eye with a softball.
I didn't completely forget about any carpools and leave kids stuck somewhere.
It wasn't my turn to set up the visiting teaching appointments.
I didn't have to prepare a lesson on missionary work.
The air conditioning worked in the car.
I didn't hurt anyone's feelings (I think).
I didn't have a paper due.
The taxes were already done.
I didn't have to grocery shop (yeah!).
I didn't have to buy new bras either (yeah!).
I didn't have to call any doctors to beg them to order tests (at least not yesterday).
I didn't have to scrape frost off of the car.
No PTA meetings.
I didn't have an earache or a cold sore or a canker.
The kids stayed in bed once we put them down.

I didn't have to fast—but I chose to, and was physically capable of doing it.
It was a beautiful spring day and I spent time holding still and listening to birds and wind.
I read some, worked some, prayed some, sang some, played some. After dinner I hung with my kids and then went to bed peacefully. . . is there a better definition of wealth than this?

4 comments:

Ang said...

Darlene, after all the Mother's Day talks today . . . this is my favorite one. Thanks for the reminder to be thankful.

Marj said...

I had a good day, too.

Darlene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darlene said...

Oops, I mean Angela. (At first I thought you were Angie S., not Angela H. Sorry.)