Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Autumn Time

I love fall. I adore fall. I wish fall were six months longer. I love the light, which is different somehow and I can’t figure out why. It must be slanting from a different angle. Or maybe it’s that, with the cooler weather, the light seems less yellow because it is not burning me up. It’s wider, fatter somehow. I love the leaves changing and the feeling of going back to school (wish I were). My husband, the eternal boy of summer, doesn’t share my love of fall. To him, it feels like impending doom. He never loved school, but always loved baseball season, so I guess his feelings are understandable. I won’t start feeling the impending doom feeling until after Christmas. Then I head into my three-month tunnel of gloom. But NOT THIS YEAR because I will be on a cruise in February! Yeah! And I hope to buy a sunlamp sometime as well.

But, anyway, back to fall. As I mentioned earlier, my garden runneth over and I just have to tell you about this fabulous lunch I had last week. I made homemade tomato soup (and the recipe is below). And then I made a grilled cheese sandwich with feta and parmesan and cheddar on sourdough bread. We are talking HEAVEN here, my friends. And if you’ll come over and visit me, I’ll make the same for you.



Basil Tomato Soup ala Darlene

A whole bunch of fresh garden tomatoes pureed in your food processor
1 can chicken broth
15 fresh basil leaves, minced (thanks to my step-mother for planting basil in my garden!)
1 t. sugar
1 t. oregano
Onion pwdr to taste (or throw in some dehydrated onions)
½ c. sour cream
½ c. half & half (which we always have on hand since it’s what my 6-yr-old DRINKS)
½ c. butter (yes, alas, a whole cube)


Bring tomatoes and broth to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil and sugar and spices. Turn heat to low; stir in creams and butter. Cook until butter is melted.

2 comments:

Marj said...

The soup sounds interesting. I will have to try it although my garden does not runneth over this year. As a matter of fact, it's downright pathetic. The weeds are flourishing, however. I might be able to scrounge up a few tomatoes though. And could you buy your sunlamp before October 19 so I can borrow it? I love everything about the fall, too. Except football.

Angie said...

This soup is to die for!! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.