Thursday, December 28, 2006

Happy New Year!

I had a good Christmas. One of my favorite presents was being kidnapped by Kathy one evening for a half-hour in her car blasting old U2 songs, which she had purchased off the internet and burned onto a cd for me. My valiant husband pulled off Christmas pretty much single-handedly, including some thoughtful things for me and all of his own presents as well. What a guy.

I don't usually make New Year's resolutions, but I did make one last year, which was to write at least a sentence in my journal every day for a month. (The official resolution was "one month" but deep down I was hoping I'd do it for a year. It lasted about four months.)

This year I have decided to commit to an eight-week course of meditation practice, as described in Jon Kabat-Zin's Full Catastrophe Living, which I just finished reading today. I have completed one week of the course already, so I guess I'm off to a good start. I have to say that reading this book made all the difference last week, when I was struggling with a post-surgical infection and was very, very sick. The breathing exercises got me through some very difficult hours. I hope to have more to report on the effects of daily meditation in my life after a few weeks. (I also hope, desperately, to be able to report a return to health within a few weeks. Pray for me, won't you?)

Another pseudo-resolution: I am daring myself to try a juice fast sometime this year, once I am recovered. Anyone want to join me? I hear good things about them.

What about you? Do you have a New Year's resolution?

No comments: