Saturday, April 25, 2009

Poetry 26: Mary Oliver

Maybe you've notice my efforts to include devotional poetry on Sundays. I'm grateful to my friend Kathy Soper for introducing me to Mary Oliver. I wanted to copy a tiny little poem called "Praying" here, but it's too tiny to take a little from. However, you can read it here! Instead, I'll give you an excerpt

from "The Vast Ocean Begins Just Outside Our Church: The Eucharist"
by Mary Oliver

I want
to see Jesus,
maybe in the clouds

or on the shore,
just walking,
beautiful man

and clearly
someone else
besides.

On the hard days
I ask myself
if I ever will.

Also there are times
my body whispers to me
that I have.

I love that we can still have religious poets who are well-received and whose skill is acknowledged (well--everywhere except the University of Utah). It gives me hope that I don't have to confine myself to non-religious topics in order to be published. .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oliver is one of my favorite poets. I just completed "Thirst", and was encouraged by the way she wove her faith into her work. Beautiful.